ODASIS STP 2019 Participants
ODASIS Strategic Plan Program 2023
ODASIS Strategic Plan Program 2023 Presentation:
The ODASIS Strategic Plan Program will run from Sunday, July 9th until Friday, August 11th, 2023
Applications must be received by Friday, June 23rd 2023
Join us at our STP Open House to learn more about the program! Date TBA
During the open house, you will:
- Hear from ODASIS undergraduate students and current medical school students who are excited to share their experiences
- Interact with students and staff
- Learn about our remote learning credit-bearing summer preparatory program for biology, chemistry, precalculus, calculus, and English
- Learn about a new exciting opportunity for students to apply for the inaugural program of the ODASIS Living Learning Community
The Strategic Plan summer preparatory program in Biology, Chemistry, Precalculus, Calculus, and English provides intensive academic support the summer between high school and college. The five-week program is designed to increase retention among science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) majors by strengthening student’s understanding of course content in foundational math and science courses.
Research and data suggest that high schools do not equally prepare students for college-level math and science, resulting in lower-grades, which deters many students from continuing in STEM. Students who participate in the Strategic Plan program are enrolled in a 2-credit Prep for General Chemistry (160:133) course as well as. This course is designed to give students the strong foundation needed to succeed in the Chemistry 161 course students will take during the fall semester of freshmen year. Additionally, students will also participate in classes that prepare them for Biology, (119:115), Precalculus (640:111, 112, 115), Calculus I (640:135) and College Writing (355:101) courses. Participants gain invaluable in and out of classroom experience, helping ensure continued success in math and science.
Participants of the Strategic Plan Program score significantly better in comparison to the general Rutgers New Brunswick population of students enrolled in Chemistry 161. The tables below compare grade distributions for ODASIS Summer Program enrolled students with the rest of the Rutgers population.
The above table displays the Chemistry grades of STP students and the general population of Rutgers University.
Program benefits include:
- Free biology, chemistry, and precalculus/calculus textbooks.
- Two college credits upon successful completion of the program.
- Housing at Nichols Apartments on the Busch Campus*
- Site visits to various health professional schools, which may include Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, New Jersey Medical School, New York University Medical School, and Jefferson Medical School.**
- Experience the various campuses of New Brunswick, thus ensuring a smooth transition into college life upon entry in the fall.* All facilities will be indicated, including dormitories, classroom buildings, library and multimedia services, dining halls, and transportation.*
- As an added bonus, students who participate in this program are automatically enrolled into the "OS" section of General Chemistry in the fall term, wherein 18% of their final grade is generated from the work performed within the office.
- Strategic Plan students will be the first cohort eligible to participate in a Living Learning Community (LLC) with either the Health & Medicine or Bunting-Cobb’s DOCTORS LLC’s!
Participants must be an incoming first-year student attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick in the subsequent fall term. Participants must have taken their Rutgers placement exams by Tuesday, June 20th, 2023 and place into at least Precalculus (640:111, 112, 115), Calculus 135 (640:135) and College Writing (355:101). Students must also not have received any prior credit for chemistry (i.e. AP credit, etc.).
*EOF students are not eligible due to summer scheduling conflicts*
- Online Application
- Upload Supporting Materials (Personal Statement and 1 Letter of Recommendation)
- Take Placement Exam
To access the 2023 online application, please click here!
Supporting Materials for Application
1. Personal Statement
The personal statement should be uploaded to complete your application. Essays should be uploaded as part of the online application.
The following is the essay prompt: Write a one page (single-spaced) essay on why you would like to participate in the ODASIS Strategic Plan program and what your career goals are. The essay should be no longer than 500 words.
Guiding Questions to Consider:
- What are your career goals?
- How will the summer program and ODASIS help you achieve your career goals?
- What would you gain from this program that you would not get otherwise?
Be sure to properly edit and proofread your essay!
2. Letters of Recommendation
Applicants are required to have 1 letter of recommendation. Letters should be uploaded as part of the online application.
3. Placement Tests
Directions on how to take your placement test can be found HERE. Make sure to complete both the Math AND English placement tests. We strongly encourage you to complete practice problems found in the Placement Test Information Bulletin.
Living Learning Communities (LLC's) in partnership with ODASIS
In an effort to maximize student success, ODASIS has been fortunate to collaborate with two of Rutgers’ most popular Living Learning Communities (LLC’s) - Health & Medicine and Bunting-Cobb! For the first time ever, Strategic Plan students from the 2022 summer cohort will be provided the opportunity to live on campus with their Strategic Plan peers throughout the academic year. Students will not only have the opportunity to live with one another, but participate in activities to help promote academic and professional success both inside and outside of the classroom setting. The ODASIS cohort LLC’s are an invaluable opportunity that will be sure to make first-year an even more rewarding experience.
The ODASIS LLC is open to first-year students who are accepted to the STP Program. Applications for the ODASIS LLC will be accepted in two tiers:
- Please check back for LLC Application updates and deadlines
To learn more about this exciting opportunity to apply for the ODASIS Living Learning Community, as well as our unique STP Program, we strongly encourage you to attend the Open House event to have your questions answered by our staff.
To learn more about Living Learning Communities here at Rutgers- New Brunswick, please go to http://ruoncampus.rutgers.edu/rulc/
Any Strategic Plan student looking to participate in the Health & Medicine or Bunting-Cobb LLC’s must complete the Rutgers housing application. Additionally, any student looking to participate in the Bunting-Cobb LLC must also be sure to apply and enroll in the Douglass Residential College (DRC). For more information, please go to https://douglass.rutgers.edu/
Please note that while ODASIS does pay for housing costs during the five week summer Strategic Plan program*, it does NOT cover the costs associated with housing throughout the academic year.
Please contact Ms. Jessica Owens if you have any questions or would like additional information. She can be reached at