ODASIS STP 2019 Participants
As the State of New Jersey continues efforts to fight this pandemic and flatten the curve, we cannot foresee any way to conduct our summer STP program as a residential program this summer; however, we will be conducting it remotely from Monday, June 29th until Friday, July 31st
The ODASIS 2020 Strategic Plan Program will run from Monday, June 29th until Friday, July 31st, 2020
Applications must be received by Friday, June 12th 2020
The Strategic Plan summer preparatory program in Chemistry, Calculus, and English provides intensive academic support the summer between high school and college. The five-week program is designed to increase retention among science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) majors by strengthening student’s understanding of course content in foundational math and science courses.
Research and data suggest that high schools do not equally prepare students for college-level math and science, resulting in lower-grades, which deters many students from continuing in STEM. Students who participate in the Strategic Plan program are enrolled in a 2-credit Prep for General Chemistry (160:133) course. This course is designed to give students the strong foundation needed to succeed in the Chemistry 161 course students will take during the fall semester of freshmen year. Additionally, students will also participate in classes that prepare them for Calculus I (640:135) and Expository Writing (355:101) courses. Participants gain invaluable in and out of classroom experience, helping ensure continued success in math and science.
Participants of the Strategic Plan Program score significantly better in comparison to the general Rutgers New Brunswick population of students enrolled in Chemistry 161. The tables below compare grade distributions for ODASIS Summer Program enrolled students with the rest of the Rutgers population.
The above table displays the Chemistry grades of STP students and the general population of Rutgers University.
Participants must be an incoming first-year student attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick in the subsequent fall term. Participants must have taken their Rutgers placement exams by Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 and place into at least Calculus 135 (640:135) and Expository Writing (355:101). Students must also not have received any prior credit for chemistry (i.e. AP credit, etc.).
*EOF students are not eligible due to summer scheduling conflicts*
Program benefits include:
- Free chemistry and calculus textbooks.
- Two college credits upon successful completion of the program.
- Housing at Nichols Apartments on the Busch Campus for the summer 2020 program.
- Site visits to various health professional schools, which may include Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, New Jersey Medical School, New York University Medical School, and Jefferson Medical School.
- Experience the various campuses of New Brunswick, thus ensuring a smooth transition into college life upon entry in the fall. All facilities will be indicated, including dormitories, classroom buildings, library and multimedia services, dining halls, and transportation.
- As an added bonus, students who participate in this program are automatically enrolled into the "OS" section of General Chemistry in the fall term, wherein 18% of their final grade is generated from the work performed within the office.
- Strategic Plan students will be the first cohort eligible to participate in a Living Learning Community (LLC) with either the Health & Medicine or Bunting-Cobb’s DOCTORS LLC’s!
To access the 2020 online application, please click here!
Guiding Questions to Consider:
- What are your career goals?
- How will the summer program and ODASIS help you achieve your career goals?
- What would you gain from this program that you would not get otherwise?
Be sure to properly edit and proofread your essay!
Letters of Recommendation
Directions on how to take your placement test can be found at: https://www.ugadmissions.rutgers.edu/pathway/placementtestexemptions.pdf. All Placement tests are conducted online via Sakai. Make sure to complete both the Math AND English placement tests. We strongly encourage you to complete practice problems found in the Placement Test Information Bulletin (https://oirap.rutgers.edu/Bulletin.pdf).
Living Learning Communities (LLC's) in partnership with ODASIS
In an effort to maximize student success, ODASIS has been fortunate to collaborate with two of Rutgers’ most popular Living Learning Communities (LLC’s) - Health & Medicine and Bunting-Cobb! For the first time ever, Strategic Plan students from the 2020 summer cohort will be provided the opportunity to live on campus with their Strategic Plan peers throughout the academic year. Students will not only have the opportunity to live with one another, but participate in activities to help promote academic and professional success both inside and outside of the classroom setting. The ODASIS cohort LLC’s are an invaluable opportunity that will be sure to make first-year an even more rewarding experience.
To learn more about Living Learning Communities here at Rutgers- New Brunswick, please go to https://rulc.rutgers.edu/
Any Strategic Plan student looking to participate in the Health & Medicine or Bunting-Cobb LLC’s must complete the Rutgers housing application. Additionally, any student looking to participate in the Bunting-Cobb LLC must also be sure to apply and enroll in the Douglass Residential College (DRC). For more information, please go to https://douglass.rutgers.edu/
*Please note that while ODASIS does pay for housing costs during the five week summer Strategic Plan program, it does NOT cover the costs associated with housing throughout the academic year.